If you’re missing some or all of your teeth, you may have selected to replace them with a denture. While dentures may seem like a simple solution to replace missing teeth, there’s actually a detailed maintenance routine necessary to keep your dentures fitting well and to keep your mouth healthy.
Dentures Deserve Care, Too!
At my Evansville dental office, we’re here to educate our patients on oral health and provide tips on how to keep mouths healthy. When it comes to our denture wearers, it’s no different. Even though dentures are not natural teeth, is doesn’t mean they don’t require just as much care. Proper denture care is crucial to maintaining the life of the appliance and to sustain oral health.
Often times if dentures aren’t cared for properly, plaque builds up and creates some serious concerns. When left alone, the plaque can cause additional tooth loss, bad breath, and even gum disease.
How to Properly Care for Dentures
- Handle with Care. Dentures are an investment in your oral health. They’re also pretty fragile, so handle them as carefully as possible to reduce risk of damage or needing repairs.
- Rinse Well. After every meal, rinse your dentures with water to remove any loose food particles. If left there, the particles can lead to bad breath or gum disease.
- Brush ‘Em. Brush your dentures daily for the best care possible. Select a soft-bristled brush or a denture-specific brush to decrease the chance of damage. Also, make sure to use a denture-safe cleanser.
- Let Them Soak. Dentures need to remain moist and hydrated. Whenever your dentures aren’t in your mouth they should be soaking in water or a solution recommended by your doctor.
- Visit Often. Maintain regular visits with your dentist in Evansville to ensure there are no potential problems and your dentures are fitting and functioning properly.
If you already have dentures and want to make sure they’re in the best shape possible, or if you think dentures may be a good fit for you, give my Evansville dental office a call. We’re here to provide you the best solution for your missing teeth and will develop a personalized treatment just for you.
Serving patients from Evansville, Newburgh, and Tell City.